Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Recipes for the Best Baked Zucchini!



Recipes for the Best Baked Zucchini!
I have to say in season, these are very economical to bake and look how you can get everyone to love their veggies!

 1.   Red sauce, sausage, and cheese

Cut zucchini in halves lengthwise. 
Use a spoon to scrape out seeds making a boat in the middle of the squash. I make a small hole in them with a toothpick to drain.


I add Pesto to the tomato sauce (spaghetti sauce usually) and then I pour a little on the boat, add some cooked sausage crumbled, and then cover with Feta cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, or shredded Monterey jack cheese.
I bake these in a glass pan with a little water under the zucchini, just until soft.  Test with a toothpick to see how soft, do not puncture the boat.  This water bath helps the dish cook quicker.

You can also mix in bread crumbs or sprinkle on top.

2. White sauce, stuffed zucchini


 The second recipe is for a mayonnaise-based topping.  As stated above prep the zucchini and the baking dish.  Place into these boats: mayonnaise  and shredded Parmesan cheese; or just sprinkle from a can over the top.  The taste is amazing…. yummy

PS they do not store well - the squash gets mushy! 

As an afterthought - you could cut them into chunks and make a casserole - I think I will try that!  I will try freezing it to see how that works and post later.

No comments:

Post a Comment