Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Lap Pillow: Not just coupons or cupcakes anymore!

I have removed the photo of the wonderful lap pillow that was my inspiration, you can find it with a google search for a "lap pillow".  These photos below were made quickly and do not show the finished project.  You can make your own with the basic ideas below.  The pillow is just a pair of jeans stuffed and bent!

Up-cycled Jeans Lap Bed for your Pet
You start with an old pair of jeans.  I acquired several at a junk store for $1.00 a pair!  Incredible find - the bandanna was .25 cents from another project.  Longer pant lengths make for an easier cross legging later!  Larger pants of course, for a larger pet.

You will need to gather scraps of fabric and cut into smaller pieces and just about anything works.  I used old T-shirts and socks, you will be amazed what you can find to cut up.  While taking photos of a sample pillow I decided to put a pillow in it to give it the form at the top.  That way I could stuff up through the legs and try the leg crossing with various amounts of stuffing.


This is the pillow stuffed in the waist.  You can leave the pillow at the top - or you can use the stuffing as mentioned above.





Stuff, Stuff, Stuff.  This is trial and error.  Remove stuffing - adjust or add stuffing - adjust.  You may also want to insert a piece of cardboard to make a nice flat form for the abdomen part of the jeans; or a smaller pillow!
In this example I used the pillow and covered it with the bandanna.  You simply run a blanket stitch around the perimeter, try to get the stitches into the pillow and the bandanna.   This pair also has a sewn in belt, if you use jeans with belt loops and any type of belt or even a scarf to give it color.  This one is a pair of tiny jeans with really long legs for example only. I have not stuffed the legs on this pair on the right. These jeans were purchased for another project:  Jean Purses. 



Here is the finished pant leg.  I have used stick-on Velcro as I had some left over.  You can safety pin it closed to do the final adjusting and then stitch it closed.  If you need to you can sew the "thighs" to the abdomen of the jeans to keep it up right.  I place it against a wall to keep her safe and sound.
On the right is the original one I made and am trying to coax Punkin to lay down on the desk with two bright lights on my quasi-photo booth.  She is not happy about it I gather.
Punkin likes to lay on it when she is not the subject of bright lights up high.
Sauder Sewing Craft Cart, Cinnamon Cherry 411615 (Google Affiliate Ad)

No comments:

Post a Comment